Wednesday 19 March 2014

Interesting search options



It is the morning of the second day of training. Tuesday, March 18th, 2014. All participants were busy in front of their desk top computers finalizing their assignments they were given to write about the first day of training. The trainer provided 15 minutes for them to finalize assignments and post into their training blogs.

After 15 minutes, it was already 9.30 am. The trainer started the programme, by telling the participants that “blog is there for you to publish and give feedback”. He told them that the basic knowledge they got about blogging is enough because can move on by doing other blogging options themselves.

He introduced the day that will mostly dwell on journalistic research assignments. He introduced few research questions in order to go with his words that the training was mostly practical – learning by doing. The first research question was who was the president of Sweden? Who is president of El Salvador? Who is president of Ukraine? Who is the UEFA champion’s league top scorer? How high is Mount Everest? Which is the highest peak in Europe?

Other questions include searching current information about Tanzania inflation rate, Precision Air profits and what Kikwete said about elephants on 11 March, 2014. All searches used advanced search options. But the most important search option which was also new to me was the use of search tools and scholar search which provides papers and articles produced by academics and published online.

We spent afternoon session to do journalistic assignments. From 3 options we were given to choose, I opted for Uganda President Museveni’s recent remarks that he would rather work with Russians than Americans.

I did this article, assisted by interesting internet search options. I used different google search options such as bookmarks, search tools and scholar advance search. My first search was to visit US Department of State website, to search what has prompted Museveni to give such negative remarks against Uganda’s long time friend. Through the website I came up with some materials which assisted me to choose the story angle. I was always using my notebook to note most important points I got from this site.

From the site, I discovered that USA officials and Human Rights Organizations have commented a lot against Museveni’s decision to sign into law the anti-homosexuality Bill. I also discovered in the website that Russians have also enacted the law against freedom of expression propaganda law on issues related to the so called “non-traditional sexual relations”. So I discovered that Museveni’s utterance might have been come because Russian is also anti-gay state.

Other sources I used in the story was the scholarly paper on anti-gay Bill called A Human Rights Impact Assessment of Uganda Anti-Sexuality Bill, 2009. I got this paper after I used scholar advanced search option. But when the trainer explained about this assignment, I discovered myself having very different story angle compared to his. He emphasized that we were supposed to trace the relationship between Russia and Uganda and the background information about Uganda-American relationship.

The training of the day was interesting. Nothing I disliked. Everything was of values.

No comments: